Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:50:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Nick Merrill <nick@calyx.net>
To:        Chris Bura <chris@MAIN.Netcorps.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID ?

At 02:02 PM 2/7/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Well after checking out Mylex's website I noticed a product called
>the DAC960SUI which connects the a SCSI controller.  It's supposed to
>just be seen as a hard drive as far as the OS is concerned.
>Have no idea what it costs.  Can't seem to find a retailer around with
>enough IQ to figure out that if it's not in stock, it still may exist...

I have one of those.

It's really a beautiful unit.  It takes a 72 pin SIMM up to 64mb for cache,
and has up to 3 fast/wide channels to hook hard drives up to, and one
fast/wide host channel that you hook to your SCSI card.  It's got it's
own LED readout and buttons so you can configure it stand-alone, or it's
got an optional serial port you can use to set it up using software on your
PC.

Once you get it all configured, and the drives formatted and organized into
a RAID, the controller handles everything, while making the entire RAID
appear to the host as one drive, of Mylex brand.

That way it works on any platform that supports SCSI without any special
drivers.  The unit I got cost around $3000 or $3500.  But if you've got
the cash I'd highly recommend it.

I'm pretty sure they carry them at Net Express - http://www.tdl.com/~netex

Tell them I sent you ;)

Nick
Nicholas Merrill      24 Hour pager: 212-381-0500     Voice: 212-292-7325
President / CEO       http://www.calyx.net            Fax  : 212-292-7313
Calyx Internet Access 271 E. 10th St. #100 NYC 10009  Email: nick@calyx.net