Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 04:30:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/42750: Fdisk makes no difference between FAT32, XFS or Ext3

The following reply was made to PR i386/42750; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:22:01 +0100

 I would say that V.N. is a bit rash in his dismissal of D.Y.'s complaint.

 I installed Linux (Slackware 8.1) on a fresh 120-GB disk, then FreeBSD
 4.6, then another Linux (Mandrake 9.0). The final result is a primary
 partition for Linux I, a primary extended partition containing a logical
 partition for the swap for Linux I and three logical partitions for
 Linux II (a linked list as evident from a raw print of the partition
 tables; I haven't checked the extents of the non-primary extended
 partitions, though, to see whether they're nested or chained). Between
 Linux I and Linux II, smack in the middle of the extended partition,
 sits another primary partition, for FreeBSD.

 The problem here is that the extended partition nominally extends until
 the end of Linux II's last logical partition, completely overlapping
 FreeBSD's primary partition. Well, it's a problem for FreeBSD's fdisk
 (which neither shows the FreeBSD partition nor displays a diagnostic
 that anything strange is going on, even though the FreeBSD Boot Manager
 still knows how to boot FreeBSD). But from what I have read about fdisk
 partition tables (http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions,
 http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_tables.html), it might
 be an imagined problem (there's no final and definitive specification
 for partition tables that says what is right and what is wrong), and
 apparently it isn't a problem for Slackware 8.1's cfdisk.

 I don't see FreeBSD's fdisk as a tenable solution in its current form,
 and since it is not germane to the O.S., why not replace it with another
 one, e.g., from Linux?

 Raf Schietekat <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>