Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:29:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Custom fixit disks?

On Monday,  3 August 1998 at 14:25:37 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to change a couple of utilities on the system fixit disks that I use...
> The disks contents (when mounted under '/mnt') look kind of weird... All the
> executables in /stand appear to be 1meg+ each?

They're all the same file, with a link count of about 58.  Take a look
at /stand on your system.

> Is there any where I can get some details on this - I had a quick look through
> the handbook and didn't find anything...

What do you want to know?  How to change a utility?  It's part of the
release build process, and so emetic that not many people bother.

> I have statically linked copies of 'team' and 'nc' that I need on the fixit
> disk, as well as all the gubbins to rebuild a filesystem (i.e. fsk, newfs,
> disklabel etc.)
>
> Can anyone offer any pointers to more information on building fixit disks?

Take a look at the 'release' target in /usr/src/release/Makefile.

If you have a CD-ROM drive on the system, it makes more sense to mount
the live file system CD-ROM and run everything from there.

Greg