Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 21:31:10 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Ulairi <ulairi@jps.net>, lnb@cybertouch.org
Cc:        Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: reentrant kernel

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 11:55:29PM -0700, Ulairi wrote:

> A re-entrant kernel is a kernel whose functions are designed to run on
> multiple CPUs at once.

because this is wrong ... all that you say that is based upon
this is in error.

back in 1978-82 we were writing re-entrant code fro system tools
and real world applications in os9, not just for teh unix like
microware os9 kernel .. on single unit motorola mc6800
processor systems.

i don't remember why the intel chips have such real troubel
with kernel reentracy, could be the sloppy chip design or teh
worse assembler language .. when compared to teh clean and
relatively efficient assmebler for motorola silicon.

i'll digup some notes or colleauges and get back to you

> Simplified, here's the thing: when kernel's
> threads make system calls (request resources, whatever), they will
> block other threads from getting the same resources until the first
> thread has finished.

ipc - interprocess communications or messaging has little if
anyting to do with code fragment re-entrancy. its more like
the old argument concerning monolithic kernel design or micro
kernel, this is where all teh subsystems of a kernel are built
as dicrete entities that can be mixed and packed to build the
required ... well something like that, i don't have my
microware documentation any more and its been so long ago.

regards

jonathan