Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:03:01 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        danlaw@rust.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Sysadmin wrote:

esat satellite news feed system in that it is effectively multicast and
> > removes the multiple transmission of the same stuff around the Net; 2) a
> > smaller number of passive news repositories responding to local ISP cacheing
> > news server requests -- only the news that's required gets d/l.
> >
> > Just my two-pennyworth :)
> That would be Planet Connect, now.  Pagesat is evidently defunct. Lesee,
> for US customers $1090+$33/month (1 yr contract).  For Europe $988 and
> you
> supply the satellite dish and LNB yourself, plus $50/month (VAT & such,
> perhaps?)  For 128K feed of Usenet only, H/W expandable to 256K.
> According
> to their website.

There will soon be a very cost effective satellite news feed available
in Europe.  I understand the pricing might be something like $2000-$3000
US setup fee and $15 per year subscription (yes I said fifteen dollars
per year).  I understand that bandwidth is unlimited and the full news
feed will be delivered.

regards
damian

--
* PIAB - PoP In A Box - the total solution for ISPs, with more features
* than a Constable landscape, and very cheap too!!