Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 17:03:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to pick up the gauntlent with multi-lingualism again?

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> o The growing formation of the regional name servers which is leading us
>   to www.fr.freebsd.org, www.br.freebsd.org, and so on.  The regional web
>   sites will want to make versions of their pages available in the native
>   language as well as english, I expect.

Apache can (in theory) serve up different versions of a web page based
on language preference specified by the browser.  It might be possible to
have a Single Unified WWW tree, with hooks for local data.  The unified
pages could be mirrored around the world so that a use could get whatever
language from whatever happens to be the closest server.

Independent of multi-lingual stuff, I'd like to make the WWW pages
sup-able to facilitates those wishing to mirror the pages.  However, I
don't know *anything* about the server end of sup....

> 1. Put the framework in place for additional versions of the handbook,
>    keyed by language.  Let translation-oriented people start sniffing
>    around in the handbook and see what parts might be most valuable to
>    translate.

As with sup, I'm an i18n novice.  Are there any conventions already in
the system that should be adhered to, i.e environment variables that
should be consulted or other clues.

> 2. Do the whole -floppydoc thing that didn't get done for 2.1 - that is,
>    nuke the docs out of sysinstall/help and generate the floppy's doc
>    on the fly from a subset of the handbook.

The framework for this already exists in 2.1/current.  Just cd to the
handbook directory, type make DOC=boothelp FORMATS=html and voila!
hypertext install floppy docs!  At a coarse level, boothelp.sgml selects
the main components to go in the boothelp docs.  At a finer level it also
defines a flag that can be used as a conditional within a component.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============