Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2018 14:30:57 -0500
From:      Evan Sabin <memereferencehere@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xserve G5 (RackMac3,1) Installation Issues on powerpc64

I have run the Apple Hardware Test on an Xserve G5 (dual 2GHz 970FX) and con=
firmed that I am unable to install FreeBSD due to issues with the installer i=
tself on powerpc64, specific to the Xserve G5 apparently, judging by numerou=
s successful installations on PowerMacs of the same era.

Last night, I downloaded and burned 11.1 release to a DVD and successfully b=
ooted from OF (accomplished through removing the hard disk at boot time) to t=
he FreeBSD kernel, where I immediately encountered a kernel panic due to a f=
loating-point unavailable trap; exception 0x800.

This morning I downloaded and burned 10.4 release onto another DVD and attem=
pted to install =E2=80=94 not a whole lot of success. I am able to boot into=
 the live CD, but cannot proceed with the installation, as I receive a gener=
ic partitioner error upon attempting to use the auto or manual, forcing me t=
o continuously restart the installation process. The shell works, though I=E2=
=80=99m not perfectly sure if that can be used to partition the system. Migh=
t this be related to my =E2=80=9Clazy=E2=80=9D workaround of booting from DV=
D by removing the hard drive and re-inserting it once OF has recognized the D=
VD?

Is there any patch/workaround I might be able to use just to complete instal=
lation? I am no programmer, but am competent enough to patch and compile cod=
e to fix things in a pinch. Ideally I=E2=80=99d like to use the latest versi=
on of FreeBSD but will do what it takes to get some relatively modern softwa=
re working on this machine.=