Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:55:55 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about 'boot -c'

I am seeking a definitive answer to this so that I can document it in the
"The FreeBSD Booting Process" section of the handbook.

A question fairly often asked is about booting with ``-c'' and the settings
not being saved. ISTR that in 2.2.x any changes made in the boot config
editor were saved (to /kernel.config in 2.2.x) but this does not appear to
happen in 4.x.

According to /sys/boot/README you need to do:

	# kget > /boot/kernel.conf

I have tried here on my machine (-STABLE) and cannot get the settings saved
(although using kget(8) as above does work). I have these lines in
/boot/loader.conf:

	userconfig_script_load="YES"
	userconfig_script_name="/boot/kernel.conf"
	userconfig_script_type="userconfig_script"

If this is behaving as intended then perhaps the wording of the question
asked when exiting the visual boot config editor should be changed. It asks
if you wish to save the settings, and if this is not happening then it will
confuse new users.

I have not been able to find the source code for the config editor; where
is it?

TIA.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie