Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 01:35:20 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Modules System (Was: Panic on 'kldunload snd')

Chris BeHanna wrote:
>>However, I was (slightly) less pleased to discover that a consequent
>>'kldunload snd' paniced the kernel. This is on a (cvsuped last night)
>>-STABLE box.
>
>     Do you, perchance, have sound compiled into your kernel?  There
> was a bug with kldload and kldunload when loading and unloading a
> module that was already compiled into the kernel, that would manifest
> itself as a panic when you tried the kldunload (usually when you were
> rebooting, which is how I tripped over it).

No actually. I was doing this using the stock GENERIC, which contains no
sound support....

I think I'm a little confused as to the current state of the kernel
modules system. I mean do people out there have systems will very small
kernel files and loads of *_load=YES statements in their
/boot/loader.conf? This would seem to be possible, but I've never heard
of anybody actually doing it. Is it just the dependancies between
modules that are a bit of a problem, or is the whole system not quite
ready for the light of day in a production environment? (I say this
because I notice that there is no documentation on the modules system
anywhere in the doc tree other than the developer's handbook.)

Thanks again.