Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:51:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Justin Wells <reader@semiotek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.2

> These questions about JDK 1.2 are only going to increase in
> frequency as people begin to use it on other platforms.
>
> It might be an idea to include some porting status information
> on the website. Right now it doesn't even mention whether a
> JDK port is underway. I know it is from reading this list,
> but it'd be nice if I could check the status now and then just
> by hitting a URL.

If someone can modify the WWW site and send me the updated WWW page, I'd
be most grateful.  I'm on a business trip and don't have time to do
this right now.

> This is going to be especially important since the license for
> JDK 1.2 sources doesn't allow you to release a version until it
> meets all the compatibility tests. So there will be a longer
> than usual delay before a release makes it out the door, and
> people are likely to get a bit antsy waiting for it.

Actually, I didn't sign a license that says a release must pass the
compatability tests, like the Linux folks.  In other words, I didn't get
access to the sources early, so I have no such restriction.  Heck, I
don't even have a copy of the tests, so how am I expected to pass
them. :) :)

Nate