Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:49:59 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: lang/lua: It does need gmake.

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 2012, at 4:18 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> >> Figured out. Add custom CFLAGS in the make.conf and you will get a
> >> build failure with make but not gmake. Here's what I have in my
> >> make.conf:
> >>
> >> CFLAGS= -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -g
> >> STRIP=
> >
> > Does it work properly if you use "CFLAGS+=" instead?
>
> It will, but you do not need to put '+' in make.conf. I have same
> CFLAGS for years and years, btw.

If you have been making these assignments unconditionally, then for
years and years you have been in danger of breaking or damaging the
builds for many ports that explicitly invoke make(1) more than once
(and thus read make.conf more than once), by clobbering prior changes
to CFLAGS or STRIP that are made in port makefiles.  Despite the
misleading examples in the base-system example make.conf, this kind of
customization is not supported for Ports, and not encouraged.  You
should take steps to ensure that your custom values are set only once,
before any top-level port Makefile is parsed.  You can define them
conditionally, or move them to another makefile that is included only
once, or disable multiple inclusions of make.conf for Ports by using
something like "__MAKE_CONF=/dev/null" in the right place.

b.