Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:53:07 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem+Ethernet?

> Hey Folks,
>
> I've got a guy running a TP560 with a NE2000 compatible card and a...uh...
> a modem of some kind.  (Whoever the outfit USR bought is.)  My guy would
> like to be able to keep both PCCARDS stuffed in his PC all the time.
>
> The problem we have is, when he inserts the ethernet card it slaps down a
> default route in his routing tables.  Then, when he goes to use the modem
> and PPP, PPP connects -- but -- his routing tables are all screwed up.
[.....]

The latest ppp (http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian) allows you to

  add! default HISADDR

(not the ``!'').  This will RTM_ADD a route, and if that fails,
attempt to RTM_CHANGE it.

The alternative with older ppps is to

  delete 0
  add 0 0 HISADDR

As far as ``putting things back'' is concerned, setup
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown:

MYADDR:
  add! default x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is your router-via-the-NIC.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;