Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:24:24 AKDT
From:      "tbsd user" <aethodt@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble   Installing FreeBSD on an IBM Netfinity 3000

Installing FreeBSD on an IBM Netfinity 3000 (model # 8476-81U)

Ok...I'm gonna try to narrow this down into sensible info.
I am using the CD for install and even thought my sys supports it, it will
not boot from CD. So I create the floppies and procede without trouble to a
point.

I had 8 potential conflicts at installation during the kernel config and was
able to reduce that to zero by deleting the entries for NICs that didn 't
exist.

it does its' thing and then probes devices with no problem.

I get to Sysinstall Main Menu and select standard installation...this brings
me to slicing/partitioning time.

I figure the whole disk may as well be used...I have no need of another OS
on this box.
so I hit A to Use entire disk.

Now I have da0s1   freebsd   subtype 165 with a C flag.
I hit S to give it the A flag so it is bootable.
then Q to save/quit

(I am doing this as I write) this time I will opt for installing a standard
MBR (no boot manager)

Next is disklabel editor. I have plenty of space so I hit A for Auto
Defaults for All

// here I look and see that I have the name da0s1 where in the book it is
listed as wda0s1  //  I hope this is trivial so I write it down and
continue.

It gives me a 50meg UFS for  /
It gives me a 261meg Swap
It gives me a 20meg UFS for /var
And the remaining 8344meg UFS for /usr
all but swap (since it is not a file system)  are  flagged with a Y to
indicate that we need to create a new file system before we can use it.

The book suggests I do not use this /var unless I know exactly how big it
should be. It indicates that I will soon learn how to fake it by putting it
on /usr
I comply and delete the /var slice
I hit Q to move on
I come to the Choose Distributions.
I have selected All before but will choose minimal this time because if I
can get it installed this way I can learn something and should have less of
a problem when iot comes time for the real install *grin*  . . .  .. . . at
that point I will either pick and choose or go for ALL.
I choose to install from CD ROM and get the Last Chance msg.
I hit yes and away it goes.
It make the new file systems and moves to the message
"Doing newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rda0s1f"
Here I wait for it to do its thing.....usually take 5 minutes or more.

It does all that and starts an emergency holo shell on VTY1   and brings me
back to the Choose Distributions screen
my choice is to reinstall or exit.
Since I just installed  I exit

It tells me to remove media and it will restart. I won't give me my CD so I
use the paperclip method and hit YES so it will restart.

Back to the install:

It does all that and starts an emergency holo shell on VTY1   and brings me
back to the Choose Distributions screen

my choice is to reinstall or exit.
Since I just installed  I exit
It tells me to remove media and it will restart. I won't give me my CD so I
use the paperclip method and hit YES so it will restart.

I restarts.
It will not boot past thhe following.

No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT