Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:11:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marc Ramirez <mrami@www.cep.yale.edu>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, The Classiest Man Alive wrote:

> <RANT>
>
> Why is it that every time somebody suggests making a script or GUI utility
> to automate some boring but necessary UNIX process,
[...]
> I swear, you all are going to drive me to learn C.

I don't think these people make up the majority of the FreeBSD camp by any
stretch.  I think most people would echo my sentiments (if not my
standpoint).

My first "programming project" was when I was a little kid.  My dad wanted
me to write a program to tally up the balance sheets for his plumbing
company.  I did, and he used it for a couple of months, and then one day
he asked me, "I wonder if there's any way for me to go back to the last
number I entered if I make a mistake."  I was then hooked on UI's. :)

I am a born applications programmer.  I love hashing out the details,
spending three weeks QA'ing a program it took two days to write.  When I
write a solid app, I strut around the city beating my chest. If I
could, I would gladly sit down and bang out any configuration utility
FreeBSD could use.

However, between being a CS major and a sysadmin, anything I start would
have, oh, a five to six month turnaround. :)  Right now, I'm not sure
that's an investment I'm prepared to make unless, say, Jordan would
guarantee that my work would be used.  And I certainly wouldn't put Jordan
in that position, considering he's never seen my work. :) :)

And here you run smack into the problem faced by all volunteer projects,
causing users to gripe and programmers to be irritated.

Marc.

--
Quidem, D! Omnis bonus est!