Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 22:25:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring gets NIST FIPS 140-1 certification (fwd)

Nate Williams quipped?
% Umm, quick question.  What's to stop the burglar from taking your ring
% and using it to disarm your alarm?

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I'll try to put up a good fight.  :-)

For you, Nate, I'd say Montana's (complete lack of) gun-control laws will
help.  ;^)

% (I contrast this with the alarms
% ability to have a 'disarm but silent setoff setting' which disarms the
% alarm by still calls in the calvary, which is used when you are in
% distress...

> Good idea.  Maybe there should be both the ring and a keypad; a special
> code can indicate distress.

% (Or, am I just being truly paranoid...)

> You?  Naaaah!

% Nate - Who is looking for a good 'physical' security mechanism that
%   can't be easily forged by an outsider who gets physical access to you
%   and your computer.

This would pretty much need to be a biometric device of some sort that
can measure stress *and* determine if the subject is living or dead.
Probably still slightly beyond the state of the art, but not more than
a few years out now.

I personally prefer the urinalysis login method, but it can get pretty
messy, and I'm told is much more embarassing for users with two Y
chromosones.