Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off-topic: IRIX 5.3

> "Jason C. Wells" writes:
> > On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> >
> > >  I know that this is offtopic, but I need to get ahold of an
> > >IRIX 5.3 CD (for SimOS).  Anyone know where I can find one of
> > >these?  Sales numbers at SGI are also welcome.
> > >
> > >  I know zip about SGI, but apparently the 6.4 CD that I have
> > >will not suit my purposes.
> >
> > I can tell you this. SGI made a change in binary file format from 5.3 to
> > 6.4 so if you are thinking about mixing and matching binaries and kernels
> > you best be careful.
>
> Irix 4.x was COFF, Irix 5.x was both COFF and ELF, Irix 6.x is ELF only.
> The 5.3 kernel was COFF.

IRIX 4.x was COFF only

IRIX 5.3 is mostly ELF, but maintains the ability to run COFF executables
and the IDO provides support for generating COFF binaries if you're
desperate but defaults to ELF. It runs on R3000, R4000, R4400 and
multi-CPU R4400 machines like the IP19 Onyx/Challenge. IRIX 5.3 is the
last release of IRIX to support the R3000 processor: if you have an old
SGI Indigo with an R3000 processor, this is the last release of IRIX
that will run on it.

IRIX 5.3 with 175Mhz and 2MB cache was a special release for certain
Indigo2 machines with faster versions of the R4400 chip that run at
175Mhz or 300Mhz clock speeds.

IRIX 5.3 with XFS was yet another interim release with XFS support.
XFS was also available separately for IRIX 5.3 as aa whopping great
patch bundle.

(There were a couple of early 6.x releases for certain platforms.
IRIX 6.0.1 and IRIX 6.1 were released mainly for Power Onyx and
Power Challenge systems with R8000 CPUs. In IRIX 6.1, the kernel
had support for activating COFF images but all the COFF compatibility
libraries were removed.)

IRIX 6.2 has all support for COFF removed and was supposed to be an
all-platform release. It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit machines and
include a MIPS-4 ABI for 64-bit binaries. Typically the only 64-bit
machines are multi-CPU boxes like the IP19 Onyx/Challenge or IP21
Power Onyx/Power Challenge or IP25 Onyx (R10000) machines. IRIX 6.2 marks
the official end of COFF support. It's also the first release to use the
FLEXlm license manager from GlobeTrotter Software instead of the NLS
license manager used in previous releases. (IRIX is also the only OS
in the world that I know of where you actually need a FLEXlm license
key to use certain 3rd party kernel extentions.)

IRIX 6.3 is a platform specific release much like IRIX 6.2, except
designed to support only the O2 workstation machines, which came out
after IRIX 6.2 was released. It also includes new desktop tools. IRIX 6.2
runs _only_ on the O2.

IRIX 6.3 With R10000 is yet another platform specific release for
O2 workstations with R10000 processors.

IRIX 6.4 is a platform specific release for the OCTANE, Origin and
Onyx2 R10000 systems, which also came out after IRIX 6.2 was released.
IRIX 6.4 is _only_ for 64-bit class systems.

IRIX 6.4.1 is an incremental update to IRIX 6.4 released
because IRIX 6.4 sucked.

IRIX 6.5 is the latest all-platform release for all currently supported
SGI hardware, including the Onyx2, Origin, OCTANE, Indigo2, Indigo2 IMPACT,
Indy, Indy R5000, O2, O2 R10000, Onyx, Challenge, Power Onyx and Power
Challenge. Among other things, it's substantially larger than IRIX 6.2,
and it marks the first time that SGI has actually bundled full NFS support
with the base OS rather than making you buy a separate set of CDs at
extra cost. It also marks the first time SGI has provided all of the
development support (assembler, linker, headers, C runtime startup modules)
necessary to run gcc without having to buy an extra development package
first. Compilers still cost extra though.

Anyway. I have an IRIX 5.3 CD in my "wall 'o media" in my office, but
I can't part with it as I need as I still have some machines running
that OS release. Also, I don't believe the SGI license agreement allows
selling the media unless it's part of a package deal including the
workstation that it came with. I'd rather not give SGI an excuse to send
their vicious lawyer hordes after me or Columbia.

-Bill