Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:53:19 +0200
From:      Stephanie Wehner <_@r4k.net>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any security issues with root's cron job?

Hi Peter,

> > I want to set up a crob job to run a script (Perl or shell).  The script
> > will be read/write/exec by root only (i.e. 700 or -rwx------).  It will run
> > /sbin/ipfw periodically to change rules according to need.
> >
> > Can anyone think of any potential security risks to such practice?  Any
> > suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
>
> I can see no problem with that as far as you described it; any potential
> problems would crawl out of the 'according to need' part.  You'd better
> be damn sure that no one but specially-authorized-sysadmin-processes can
> indicate 'need'.
>
> Other than that, no, there is no problem with root cron jobs per se, as
> long as you are careful :)

hmja, however in this case I'd also be interested in how this system
obtains its timing information. eg if the ipfw rules are set by a cronjob
and the machine is remotely updated from an ntp server for example,
anyone controlling the ntp server could in effect toggle your firewall
rules. I guess this is also somewhat contained in this 'according
to need' part.

bye,
Stephanie
#3 - Anime Law of Sonic Amplification, First Law of Anime Acoustics
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because
there is no air to get in the way.