Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:43:02 -0700
From:      "Michael Wells" <mwvw@adelphia.net>
To:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Find Tuning Sound & Colors

Well I have finally got my FreeBSD system up and
running the way I like it.  So now it time to tune it up
and make it scream.  Beyond kernel configs and installing
all the toys, I really want to get some things tightened up.
I have on board sound and while it plays back with no
problem the quality is not there.  Distortion at semi high
volumes and overall mediocre performance.  I am assuming
the latest VIA drivers are installed?  Is this something
that I should start looking at?
Okay so #2 I have the ATI Rage 128 AGP video card.
again it's performing just fine expect I can't seem to get
32 bit color out of it.  I am up to 24 before it complains.
The only reason I expect 32 is because I see that it's
being done in other machines.
I tried playing back a mpg file with the KDE installed
media player and the performance was horrible.  Any ideas
on what a high performance multimedia player might be?

Thanks!!!