Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:11:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        opsys@mail.webspan.net (Open Systems Networking)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option MROUTING

> You could slap a nice pretty GUI on all the config tools for mbone on unix
> you want, but until you find a provider who carries MBONE feeds, let alone
> even remotely knows what the MBONE is, it isnt going to do you much good.

I think Amancio's point, which should be well taken, is analogous
to the enabling of RFC1323 and RFC1644 by default in FreeBSD in
support of T/TCP, etc..

The counter-argument at the time might have easily been "...but until
you find a provider whose terminal server doesn't blow TCP option
negotiation...".

Instead, the options were enabled by default, and the majority of the
Internet is better for it: the terminal servers were modified to
meet the challenge.

There is a big difference betwwen "Operation not supported" and
"Sorry, but your ISP doesn't appear to support MBONE; refer your
ISP to the following RFC's: ...".

> I have tried sprint, mci, and feist here and not one engineer knew the
> difference between the MBONE and a video conferencing ISDN solution.

You didn't try very hard at Sprint: Vadim Antonov works there as a
network engineer.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---