Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:20:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, tlambert@primenet.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and smp crash

Julian Elischer said:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
> > I have to chime in here -- some of the "fixes" are work-arounds, and
> > there are still underlying VM problems.  It might be "good enough"
> > for 3.0, but I would suggest preparing for some rework to find the
> > root cause for the problem.
> >

> We all agree john, but we have not got a suitable set of people who really
> understand that code yet... several people are doing "voyages of
> discovery" but we do not yet have a "slot-in replacement" for you :-)

That wasn't clear.  The "fix" to the page_remove code has really concerned
me.  The effort was good, but I am still thinking about where the problem
really is.  I wasn't meaning to put the effort down, and I think that
Terry is a person who has a good chance of figuring the code out to the
point of being creative with it.  (Even though some-people think that he
is sometimes "off the wall", I also don't think that some-people listen
to him *enough*.)  He has been in contact with me, and I am certainly
willing to help him.  Especially after meetings personally with him, I
trust his ability to comprehend and create.  (For VM code, I also
believe that some of the Alpha people, and others who were helping
even when I was actively working on the code, are able to take off
where I left it.)

None of the VM stuff is brain surgery, but there are some end cases that
I believe have BOTH existed since day one, and also some problems that
I might have caused.  Those who are actually working on/with the code
should feel very free to contact me.  This strategy has apparently been
fairly successful, with not only Terry, but others who have just chatted
with me about other technical things.

The locking situations and critical region problems are existant
throughout the VFS and VM code (and probably in other places too.)  I
am working to help solve those sorts of problems coherently and
completely in another forum.  However, when I can help (without totally
distracting me in my new work), I will (and do.)

FreeBSD's success is still important to me, so using me as a resource
when I can help effectively is okay.  My current schedule is quite full,
but use me when you need to.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid