Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:52:53 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <ateve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD based, standalone, print server

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:59:52 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:20:35 +0700 (ICT)
> Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
>
> > 2) I find a solution to bridge the parallel port and the ethernet
> >    port. This is more exciting and I keep the quota and spooling on
> >    the original print server.
>
> 	There are very cheap network print servers available, finding one
> with parallel might be harder.

I have one of them here: "Cisco Systems Linksys Wireless-G
printserver for USB 2.0", model no. WPS54GU2: parallel, USB,
network and antenna. :-)

In worst case, using a PC-based server to expose the system's
lpr (with attached printer filter to parallel port, e. g. via
apsfilter, CUPS, or simply PS without anything else) should be
no problem. It would then appear on the network to be used
as "lpr to IP address", just as the original printer would
have been.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany