Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:00:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/34643: bzip2 instaled with system isn't found by tar -y[j]cvf

The following reply was made to PR misc/34643; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To: Luiz Otavio Souza <luiz@travelnet.com.br>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:27:16 -0800

 On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 09:39:09AM -0800, Luiz Otavio Souza wrote:
 [snip]

 >       my backup routine uses tar and bzip2, and since the bzip2 was instaled by the system the tar aplication do not found the bzip2 instaled
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >       just make tar -y[j]cvf backup.tar.bz2 /anything
 > >Fix:
 >       i use this with sucess: ln -s /usr/bin/bzip2 /usr/local/bin/bzip2

 tar(1) works just fine for me with '-j'. The compression program is
 called with an execlp(2) so it should be found as long as it is in
 your path. What is the error you are getting, and you are using
 /usr/bin/tar, correct (and not some other version)?

 This does not look like a OS bug to me.