Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:07:04 -0500
From:      "rob copsey" <robc@execpc.com>
To:        Trish <failte@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: Invalid Partion - help on setting up loader

Trish,

I don't really know what this list is for and I'm not trying

to be a goody two shoes. Perhaps this list is much like a

newbie in and of itself. A newbie that is looking for a place

to fit in and be useful?

In a strange bit of irony, Maybe we are using the list for one

its intended purposes in this thread; exploring the purpose of

something.

I dunno,

RC

> [...]
>

> rc> All I'm saying is that as new members of this community we
>
> rc> should not burden the gurus with our day to day questions.
>
> rc> We should exhaust every possible resource before posing a
>
> rc> question. When we must pose a question, it should be well
>
> rc> written and concise; it should show that we've at least
>
> rc> taken every measure to solve the problem/issue prior to
>
> rc> seeking assistance.
>
> rc> Best Regards,
> rc> Rob
>
> >> Okay...I've been toying with this question for quite some
time...ever
> >> since I over-optimistically subscribed to this newsgroup as a way
of
> >> mentally preparing myself to do an install of freeBSD.
> >>
> >> Every time a person posts a how-to question in this group...they
get
> >> directed elsewhere.  Just what IS this group for?  Seems to be that
> >> all you're allowed to do here is post such things as:
> >>
> >> "Hey...you're a newbie?  I'M a newbie too!!!"
> >>
> >> "You're having a tough time with freeBSD?  Hey...me too! But...I'll
> >> have to meet you in the OTHER newsgroup to tell you what KIND of
hard
> >> time...."
> >>
> >> I've seen many people redirected, graciously, to the handbook
(thank
> >> GOD there's a handbook...) and the "other" newsgroup.  Wouldn't it
be
> >> quicker to simply say that the freebsd-newbies group is simply
another
> >> way of saying... RTFM?
> >>
> >> Seems like this should really be a group where people come in and
say
> >> "Hi...I'm Bob. I just installed freeBSD" and the rest of you
go..."Hi
> >> BOB!!  RFTM!" and show him to the next room.  Well..unless his/her
> rc> name
> >> isn't Bob.
> >>
> >> Merry Christmas everybody (Happy Holidays to those of other
> >> faiths/cultures and those who are easily offended) and when I'm
ready
> rc> to install freeBSD...I'll know there's a handbook...and
> >> a higher power to turn to. :)
> >>
> >> In all seriousness...have appreciated the ready help that always
seems
> >> available to everyone...I just don't get WTF this group is for!! :)
> >>
> >> Trish
> >>
> >> Friday, December 26, 2003, 9:53:54 AM, you wrote:
> >>
> >> rc> Hi,
> >>
> >> rc> You've posted to the wrong list (see newbie's FAK). . .
> >>
> >> rc> Also, there are sections of the handbook that deal with this
> >>
> >> rc> and other aspects of setting up the boot loader and partition
> >>
> >> rc> scheme. If you still have questions after perusing the relevent
> >>
> >> rc> sections of the handbook, please post to the questions list.
> >>
> >> rc> Happy Holidays,
> >>
> >> rc> Rob

> >> rc> harsh on me if my ettiquette isn't acceptable.

installworld, I

unsubscribe@freebsd.org"