Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:20:22 -0500
From:      "Peter Avalos" <pavalos@theshell.com>
To:        "David Wolfskill" <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ypserv giving out encrypted passwords

|I suspect that the "encrypted password only in master.passwd.by*" only
|works if it's aFreeBSD box as master.  (A master constructs the maps; a
|slave merely repeats what it's told.)

Why? That just doesn't make sense to me. The master has to give the whole
map to the slave, and the slave server should still be acting as a server.
It shouldn't be dealing out the encrypted passwords to non-privileged ports.

It looks like the manpage is wrong (it looks at tcp and udp), but it also
looks like there's a bug when ypserv is acting as a slave server.

Regards,

Peter Avalos
TheShell.com