Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:40:28 -0700
From:      Joseph Stein <joes@joescanner.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA problems (rehashed)

At 12:26 AM 10/25/00, you wrote:
>It seems Joseph W. Stein wrote:
> > ad0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM3840A/A6B.2400> ATA-0 disk at ata0 as master
> > ad1: <QUANTUM FIREBALL CR4.3A/A5U.1200> ATA-4 disk at ata0 as slave
>
>Well, your problem is the Quantum disk, the old TM series are known for
>thier broken DMA support, you should really get that swapped with
>something better (you could swap the two disks the CR is a bit better).

Well, at least it is something now, that I *KNOW* what is failing :)

I apologize for bombarding you with this problem tonight, but it just
finally got to be frustrating that I couldn't "upgrade" without having to
sit in front of the machine trying to get it to boot back up.

Since I was going to go to go hardware shopping tomorrow anyway, I will put
a new disk on the list.

Thanks for your prompt response, Soren (and all)