Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:28:06 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        FreeBSD Virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need X-server to run in bhyve guest

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Henrik Gulbrandsen wrote:
> > >=20
> > > This will work with the normal X server and bhyve's built-in VNC if
> > > you run the guest with UEFI CSM and apply my Video BIOS patch:
> > >=20
> > >      https://www.gulbra.net/freebsd-bhyve/
> >=20
> > I'd prefer to stick to bhyveload for now.
>=20
> I would strongly encourage you to use vnc and UEFI bios mode
> in bhyve for what you are attempting to do.  Unless your guess
> is not able to run a uefi frame buffer type display, which any
> recent FreeBSD should be just fine with.

All right, I just tried to install FreeBSD 12.1 under vm-bhyve in UEFI
mode.=20

Well, the installation was not trivial.

At first, in the VNC client, I see the loader menu, then the "Loading
kernel..." message, and then a blank screen. Fine, I run "vm console"
and install via the serial console, the UEFI screen still being blank.

Second, unless I select ZFS, there is no option to install on GPT+UEFI.
Fine, let's install on ZFS.

Installation complete, reboot... The serial console is available, the
UEFI VNC console is available too, though much later :-)

Fine, I will experiment with that. Maybe Gnome or xfce will recognize
this console as a monitor.

Thank you for the hint, Rodney!

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN