Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2007 05:39:30 +0000
From:      =?UTF-8?B?6Z+T5a625qiZIEJpbGwgSGFja2Vy?= <askbill@conducive.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INTERNAL REVENUE/FUNDS DEPARTMENT

Doug Barton wrote:
> meta-comment: please don't respond to spam or inappropriate messages on
> the mailing lists. It just adds pointless volume.
>
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, 韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:
>
>> Can someone set the MTA / MLM to reject that sort of garbage?
>
> The mailing list managers do a heroic job of holding back the spam tide.
> If you had any idea how much spam gets blocked before we ever see it
> you'd nominate them for a medal.
>
> Doug

That they do!

And I have a *very* good idea how much gets blocked - a prime use of our FreeBSD
servers is for Exim-PostgreSQL MTA's.

I'm sure a medal or three would be very much in order - though more sleep, and
watching botnet traffic drop off the radar would probably be more welcome.

But if we could have but 'one wish' - it would be end-user communities who
understood that, yes, we DO need to block some folks they consider legitimate
correspondents - because they are violating the most basic of requirements.

Bill