Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:30:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/25635: lpr -# didn't work on network printer

The following reply was made to PR misc/25635; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, wkwu@ccbsd1.csie.nctu.edu.tw
Cc: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, freebsd-print@bostonradio.org
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:24:34 -0500

 Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg> wrote:
 >   Hmm.. could this be somehow related to PR bin/25544?

 The problem with multiple copies can not be related to
 the PR about lprm not working right.

 Wei-Kai Wu <wkwu@ccbsd1.csie.nctu.edu.tw> wrote:
 >   lpr -#2 -Php4050 test.ps
 >   the above command will print only one copy of test.ps

 What does your printcap entry look like?  Do you, for
 instance, do anything with a filter (if=blah) on this
 print queue?

 Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
 >  The `-#' option requires support from the remote print
 >  spooler to operate.  Are you certain that this printer
 >  supports such a feature?  Many network print servers do
 >  not, in order to reduce the amount of memory required.

 I don't know about an HP 4050, but I did just try this on
 an HP 5000 series.  If you send a plain-text job via lpd
 protocols, then you will only get a single copy.  I also
 tested by pointing the exact same queue at a freebsd box,
 and the control file sent by the print server was correct.
 Ie, the control file does request the same number of copies
 that the user originally requested.

 My guess is that the HP printer ignores most of the lines
 in a control file.

 I only tried this with 'rp=lp', I don't know how it would
 behave for other queues that an HP might understand.

 Still, I suppose 'lpd' could fix this, by having an option
 to say "if the user requested multiple copies, then send
 each datafile to the remote host multiple times".  Not
 the most exciting option, but it is probably doable.  I
 will try to remember this issue, but I don't have any
 immediate plans to implement such an option.