Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:06:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Pro 3.2 on FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE

> I4m having a problem with my SoundBlaster Pro 3.2 on my FreeBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD
> 2.2.2 boxes. They just create noise that sounds like a threat to my stereo.
>
> I have a friend who has a SoundBlaster 16 PnP and it works beautifully. That4s
> why I know it4s not the programs I4m using (Audio MPEG Playe, amp).
>
> Is there an easy way to find out where the problem lies?

I also have these problems with SB Pro cards. Even though the ads tell you
that it's a 16 bit sound card: it isn't. It's still 8bit, you can't play
full 16bit 44kHz stereo files on it directly. I noticed it when I tried
to play mpeg-audio files. They always gave me crap at the speakers. When
I'm changing them to 22kHz WAV/Voc files everything is ok.
By the way: there is an easy way to find out if your device is an 8bit or
16bit device:

start the voxware daemon (au)
execute auinfo -audio tcp/localhost:8000

and you'll see...

A SB16 is a TRUE 16bit card so there's no problem playing 16bit 44kHz stereo
files on it.

Bye,
	Udo

--