Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:45:05 -0800
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@ns.frihet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG

Weighing in with my $0.02, ...

jkh@time.cdrom.com said:
>... now rather than continue to natter on for another dozen rounds about
>how terrible the current naming scheme is, I really would prefer to
>see the "general public" answer these two simple questions:

>	a) Would the confusion caused by an abrupt name change
>	   exceed the confusion caused by the current conventions?

Since I still haven't figured out what mailing list to use for my 2.2
questions and observations, I'd say no.  A higher level of confusion, though
possible, would be difficult to achieve.  :-)

>	b) Assuming that the answer to (a) is no and now you've got
>	   carte blanche to change things, what names would you choose
>	   to describe the 3 tracks of development (mostly quiescent,
>	   current release track, bleeding edge development) which you
>	   feel would most adequately convey their purpose to the
>	   layperson?  Explain your rationale for each choice.

My suggestions would be "stable," "current," and "experimental."  As I
understand things, nothing short of a CERT advisory should cause a future
change to the 2.1 line.  That sounds stable to me.  The 2.2 line is, and will
continue to be the source of "current" releases for some time.  The 3.0 line
is unlikely to have any releases until it's time to shift 2.1 into oblivion,
shift 2.2 into stable, and issue the first 3.0 release in the line.  It also
makes sense for there to be three e-mail lists, maybe (possibly renamed)
versions of "stable," "current," and "hackers?"

By the way, today, which e-mail lists should I use for what?
--
David E. Tweten            |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:   |   tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive         |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90    |      tweten@and.com