Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:31:51 -0600
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server weekend

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:30:49AM -0800, Henry Ammons wrote:
> Is there a list of software/binaries that you would
> recommend that provides a good balance between loading
> everything and a minimalist approach?  Also, do you
> recommend the Novice installation from the sysinstall
> program?
>
> And lastly, what servers do you recommend for each
> service?  I tried postfix in an earlier life (Linux),
> but kind of prefer qmail based only on what others
> have said (no personal experience).

Here are my recommendations for servers:
Apache - Web server, best choice on FreeBSD
OpenSSH - Secure telent-like server, included in base install
OpenSSH - secure ftpd, providesa secure ftp server, also in base system
IFilter - firewall with IPNAT for NATting connections.

The novice install will work fine.

    -V
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@home.com

                "Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
                  code warrior that ever lived!"