Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:11:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   IDE RAID (HPT-370/Abit KT7-RAID) install questions..

(excuse complete ignorance as far as IDE RAID below)

For the buildbox here, I decided to go ahead with Soren's ATA-100 RAID
suggestion, and bought an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard, which has an onboard
Highpoint HPT-370 ATA-100 RAID. I'm using two 15G IBM 75GX drives on it.

So after a long day of hacking at getting Cyclone Interchange to run under
FreeBSD, I decided to go for the install today w/
20000820-CURRENT. I set up the RAID BIOS to stripe together both of
the drives, each as a master on their own channel. The controller shows up
in the FreeBSD bootup, as well as the drives with UDMA100, but..

While "lsdev" from the boot floppy shows one drive, in FreeBSD & fdisk
they show up as two 15G drives (ad4s1 & ad6s1) rather then a 30G
concatanated one.

Am I missing something here? I've never done IDE RAID, let alone on-board
RAID. Are they striped, but show up as seperate due to the lack of
emulation?

I went ahead and installed FreeBSD as a 6G partition.. and everything
looked good (and fast!), but when I rebooted, BootEasy saw the FreeBSD
bootblock, but it compained that it couldn't find any ufs
partition. However, "lsdev" from the floppies saw a ufs and swap
partition when checked.

Do I have to install / on a non-RAIDed drive so that the boot loader has a
chance?

In any case, much thanks goes to Soren for adding support for the
HPT-370 (and for the ATA drivers in general). I don't owe him just a
beer, but probably a keg or two for all the IDE boxes that I've installed
FreeBSD on :)