Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:16:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads across processors

At 8:16 AM -0500 8/26/98, Dave Glowacki wrote:
>> > I don't know of enough PPC machines to make it worthwhile doing
>> > a port.
>>
>> Macintoshes.  iMACs especially.  :)
>
> Not to put a damper on this, but...
>
> According to http://www.macosrumors.com/OSX.html MacOS X will already
> have a version of BSD built in and a command line interface will be
> available.
>
> Given that (and assuming the performance is somewhat decent), how
> likely would people be to trade access to MacOS applications for
> access to an open source OS?

If a person bought a Mac to run MacOS, then there isn't much reason
to think they'll rush to FreeBSD just because it is open source.
They bought it to run Mac applications, and they will want to run
Mac applications.  Apple will have enough of a challange getting
them interested in MacOS Ten (nee Rhapsody), never mind FreeBSD.

However, you should ask the question from the opposite angle.  Of
people who want to run FreeBSD, how many of them might be willing
to pay slightly more for hardware, if that gets them some fairly
solid machine which isn't mired in the world of Intel hardware?
Particularly if they need to run some freebsd-ish application on
a laptop, where the PowerPC-based laptops can really outdo the
Pentium-based laptops for performance.

I'm all for nextstep/openstep/rhapsody/macOSten, having been a
user of NeXTSTEP for many years.  At the same time, I too am very
interested in something like FreeBSD for G3's, assuming apple
does not make that impossible.  And while that will have a BSD-ish
unix layer, it is clear that Apple is not concentrating on making
the most perfect unix layer that the world has ever seen.  Their
priorities are elsewhere, they just like to have the unix layer
as a base for the things they are concentrating on.

I notice that OpenBSD is looking at the iMac (something about it
having a "fixed" version of OpenFirmware -- although I don't know
what issues that refers to), so I'm keeping an eye on that effort.
I had assumed it was not likely that FreeBSD would have a PowerPC
port, but if someone is keeping track of "votes/wishes", then I'm
one of the people who would like to see it.

Of course, maybe we want a different subject/thread for that
wish-list discussion, and probably on a different mailing
list as well.  It's a cinch that today's freebsd-current is
not running on PowerPC, whatever I might wish...    :-)

(and as long as this is running so long: Am I the only one who
thinks of "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" when seeing the subject
for this thread?  :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute