Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:59:37 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        richard@voxsant.com
Subject:   Re: hello - security update.

On Feb. 9, 2004 Richard Reyes <richard@voxsant.com> wrote:

>hello guys,
>
>i have just installed freebsd 5.2 from a floppy boot disk. now i saw some
>security announcement on the
>freebsd website and decided to rebuilt my kernel ( as was instructed on the
>updates ). anyway, does rebuilding the kernel captures all the necessary
>updates?
>
>all i did was create a new kernel config file ( basically a copy of the
>GENERIC ). then execute...
[snipped]

>is this enough ?
>
>thanks
>
>richard

Hi Richard,

I'm sure you probably know this, but your email was confusing on this
point: rebuilding the kernel does not "pull in" (patch/whatever)
anything. You must use cvs/cvsup (or equivalent), or apply the
appropriate patch(es).

Assuming you have done something like that, rebuilding the kernel
should fix the SysV shared memory bug, but not the mksnap_ffs bug
nor many of the cumulative fixes since release.

About those fixes, the advisories say:

NOTE WELL: Due to release engineering in progress at the time of this
           writing, the RELENG_5_2 security branch (5.2-RELEASE-p1)
           also includes numerous other critical bug fixes, most of
           which are not security related.  Please read src/UPDATING
           for details on these changes.

mksnap_ffs can be rebuilt by following the advice in the advisory.

If I were you, I would rebuild the whole system just to be on the safe
side. See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
for details regarding cvsup and rebuilding the system.

Regards,
Clayton

Plan your next US getaway to one of the super destinations here.
http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx