Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:53:39 +0200
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which ftpd

Hello, James Wyatt!

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I want to keep anonymous ftp on one of my machines but
> I'm not sure whether I should use wuftpd or the stock distributed
> ftpd. I want to have logging what users/sites are doing.
> But I want security also.
>
> I just discovered a bunch of suspicious files and directories
> in my incoming directory:
> drwxrwx-wx root/staff        0 Nov 28 19:45 2000 incoming/
> drwxr-xr-x ftp/staff         0 Jul 31 00:04 2000 incoming/sm/
> drwxr-xr-x ftp/staff         0 Jul 31 00:04 2000 incoming/~tmp./
I've been hacked few month ago with such kind of sht
using standard ftpd.
ps ax | grep supa
also make fsck in single mode several times, then search for suspicious dirs in
/var/games, /var/*.

This is hack based on loading kernel module which prevents process name supa
to be killed
also try to find dir or/and file named "lohi".

I'm not sure about this, because they may change executable names.

--
Alexandr P. Kovalenko	http://nevermind.kiev.ua/
NEVE-RIPE