Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 07:53:44 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Serial Console?

Hi Michael,

> This is more of a FreeBSD general question but is applies to Mac PPC
> more than the average platform:
>
> Are there any FreeBSD USB Serial Console projects out there akin to that
> in Linux?

  I don't know of one, but there's no reason why it couldn't be the
console after it is probed - the USB keyboard already works in polled
mode for console input.

  The issue is getting console i/o *before* the USB serial port is
probed i.e. at the loader prompt and booting into the debugger, OFW
doesn't support this though if you are a uber-hacker it may be possible
to write Forth code to do this.

  In a similar vein, Firewire *can* be used as a console after it's
probed, but there is the same issue with it not being supported by OFW.

later,

Peter.