Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:46:27 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Arabian <Arabian@DAL.NET>
Cc:        bmah@california.sandia.gov, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

--==_Exmh_-1564999985P

If memory serves me right, Arabian wrote:

> >Without some more details, it's difficult to answer your question. For
> example, >what kind of services are you providing?
>
> I'm runing an IRC server.
>
> >Where are the clients?
>
> IRC users.

What I was getting at here was that if the clients are far away,
network-wise, that the latency added by an extra hop through a router
is probably negligible by comparison.  (We're talking something on the
order of a millisecond or so here, assuming that your situation isn't
pathologically bad.)

> >Are the networks 10Mbps or 100Mbps?
>
> 100 Mpbs Full Duplex.
>
> >Is the router doing anything other than routing packets?
>
> Just routing packets, and as firewall to proect the server connected to it
> from attacks ICMPs ...etc.

I asked this to see if the router is heavily loaded.  Sounds like it's
not.

> There is no performance problem actually, I just wanted to make sure I wont
> have it on the future, avoiding the problem before it happenes better than
> solving it after problems jumped. :)

OK.  It sounds to me like you're doing OK with what you've got.  I'm
sure someone else will correct me if there's reason to believe
otherwise.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1564999985P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBN1vpUqjOOi0j7CY9AQEdrAP/dVwNSHc3ZWstFX1gpG05eLVv3NfKQJzI
oQ6f4ejcq/JGb8lUvKxUUUyiM0ipKJIfJl03+yLPVhZuTrDlhIv1VrEemAvy/hI0
FPJP4RDkuOpn/HBstquUZwqls1o/TfJbnRyi4LwpHCONemAHeGJ+FeaD9Ey+24ZF
l1phjlFaK3s=
=LRjn
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1564999985P--