Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:17:07 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Also interested in testing

Hi Sean,

> The hardware I have right now is a 300MHz G3, 67MHz
> bus, iBook (version = 83.0), OF rev 3, Boot ROM 4.1.7f4,
> 288MB RAM, 10/100 ethernet, airport card, 56K modem (all
> three built in/installed), USB port,
> 4MB ATI Rage Mobility Lp(rev 64), 24x(?) Matshita cdrom.

 I use the same model for development, no problem there.

> My understanding is that FreeBSD support is targetted such
> that the same machines supported by Net/OpenBSD will be
> what can run FreeBSD.  Is this correct?  My generalized
> criteria were that anything supported by Apple's OS X
> distributions should or will soon be supported by FreeBSD;
> hence the old iBook purchase.  If this is not the case,
> what specifically should I be looking for in terms of
> "development" hardware?

 NetBSD supports pretty much every PowerMac model except the
original NuBus ones. OpenBSD supports the same model range
as OSX, which is G3+G4 machines. I suspect this will be the
target for FreeBSD as well.

 The unsupported G3 machines at the moment with FreeBSD are
the beige, B&W, and early iMacs. That should be rectified soon.

> Finally, I'm interested in (as a final result sometime
> down the line) a machine that dual boots Apple OS X and
> FreeBSD.  I'm guessing that will be possible (as it is
> now with Net/OpenBSD with fiddling in OF settings) but
> I'd like to confirm this.

 Yep, although as Drew mentioned you'll need a separate
partition for FreeBSD.

> If you can point me in the right direction I'd like to
> jump in as soon as possible; I've had the iBook a week
> now and I'm itching to get my hands dirty in the code!

 Great!

later,

Peter.