Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:36:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        "W. Reilly Cooley, Esq." <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/passwd bad for shell?

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. wrote:

> Would it be dangerous to use /usr/bin/passwd as a shell for users? I would
> prefer not to give interactive shells by default, but would like to give

I use the passwd program as a shell for non-interactive users all the
time and it works quite nicely.  It prevents them from logging in but
allows them to change their password without having to call your tech
support dept.  If they will be using ftp to transfer files to your
server (i.e. for web pages), make sure the passwd program is listed
in the /etc/shells file.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com