Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:47:38 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the system and ports

Hi--

On Mar 9, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
> Further to previous suggestion in this mailing list,
> I have just updated from FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE to the latest patch.

This is good.

> I firstly use freebsd-update but it failed ...
[ ...Colin Percival is the owner of this, so I won't try to speak to =
it... ]

> So I switch to update from source.
> REL_ENG_8_0 is specified in stable-supfile. After csup and =
buildworld/kernel.
> Now I am running 8.0-RELEASE-p2.
> But I am expecting 8.0-STABLE-p2. I don't understand.

If you track RELENG_8, you get -STABLE system from a build cycle.  If =
you track RELENG_8_0, you are tracking the security branch and get your =
own "official" -RELEASE system from the build cycle.

> The handbook did not say anything about the capitalized RELEASE.
> At least I did not find it.
> I only notice that I always get RELEASE when freshly install from CDs.
> But when build from sources sometimes I get RELEASE.
> And sometimes I get STABLE.
>=20
> 1. What is the difference between RELEASE and STABLE?

http://www.freebsd.org/security/ says:

"Supported FreeBSD Releases

The FreeBSD Security Officer provides security advisories for several =
branches of FreeBSD development. These are the -STABLE Branches and the =
Security Branches. (Advisories are not issued for the -CURRENT Branch.)

	=95 The -STABLE branch tags have names like RELENG_7. The =
corresponding builds have names like FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE.

	=95 Each FreeBSD Release has an associated Security Branch. The =
Security Branch tags have names like RELENG_7_0. The corresponding =
builds have names like FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1."

> 2. After buildworld/kernel finished, I tried freebsd-upgrade again.
> Now it works. There are still 20 files to fetch and install.
> Only 8 hours between csup all sources and freebsd-upgrade.
> Is it normal to have such 20 outstanding files during short period?

It's not unusual for a even single change (like pulling in a security =
fix or whatever to OpenSSL, sendmail, etc) to touch that many files.  =
However, one does not normally swap back and forth between building from =
source and doing binary upgrades, although it's certainly fine if you =
wanted to get freebsd-upgrade working and use it from here on out.

> 3. freebsd-update did not request for mergemaster(8). [edit]
> How can we ensure that things in /etc go well?

Read /usr/src/UPGRADING for notes about important changes.  Run =
mergemaster -iU, although you don't need to bother unless you're moving =
to at least a .x upgrade or there was a specific mention in the security =
advisory otherwise.

> 4. After this step, I would probably run portmaster. sleepy now :-(
> I want to know how often you normally update the ``system'' and =
``ports''?

I update most systems at least as often as FreeBSD security advisories =
are posted; and ports whenever portaudit warns of an issue.  If a new =
version of something which is a primary function of some box is updated, =
I might update more frequently for such a specific reason.

I have test machines that get updated about weekly.  I have firewall =
boxes with multiyear uptimes where I've only updated OpenSSH+OpenSSL =
when needed, since port 22 for management is all they do.

> If both are normally done EVERYDAY, freebsd-update is relatively fast.

I'm going to conclude from this question that you aren't running =
production systems.  :-)

> But portmaster is somewhat slow to build all ports from sources.
> One may have hundreds ports, if not thousands.
> Please give me some hints, what are you normally do?

You only need to rebuild all ports when you are updating the system for =
a major release, like from 7.x to 8.x.  Otherwise, portmaster, =
portupgrade, etc will determine which ports have changes and only =
rebuild those ones.

--=20
-Chuck=