Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 09:43:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: finger date problem

On 27-Jun-97 Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>Please excuse me if this has come up already; just joining the list.
>
>Since installing current, finger returns erroneous date info:
>
># finger conrads
>Login            Name                 TTY  Idle  Login Time   Office
>Phone
>conrads          Conrad Sabatier      p1         Dec 31  1969
>
>Same date every time.  My system clock is properly set, and date returns
>the correct info.

As it turned out, a rebuild of xterm cured the problem (found the answer in
the list archives; I *really* must remember to check there first).  :-)

Still, I'm wondering about something.  If I start an X session under xdm
*without* starting an xterm, it appears as if I'm not logged in at all.
Is there a rationale for this that I'm not aware of?  Or possibly some way
to get xdm to create a utmp entry?  I've tried sessreg, but it sees to have
no effect.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/