Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 12:39:58 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, j@uriah.sax.de
Subject:   Re: More serial console stuff...

>| Second, there are incidental problems involved with booting with a serial
>| port as a console. For one thing, you have to remember to edit /etc/ttys
>| properly before you bring the system up multi-user for the first time, or
>| you won't get a login prompt. ...

You do?  /dev/ttyd0 should work together with a serial /dev/console almost
as well as /dev/ttyv0 works with a screen+keyboard console.  The main
difficulty is that the kernel part of the serial console is unaffected
by stty's on /dev/ttyd0 (or equivalently, on the serial /dec/console).

>It is said that it's not a good idea to enable a getty on /dev/console.

There is no reason to (/dev/console is equivalent to the physical console
as far as children of login can tell) and there are reasons not to (bugs).

>We would need some install-time or /etc/rc-time automagic that
>auto-enables the getty on tty00 in /etc/ttys if the systems happens to
>run a serial console.  Perhaps cons.c should emit some string that

For syscons the opposite might be preferable, especially now that
consoles are allocated on demand and have scrollback: keep /dev/ttyv0
for single user shells, console messages and debugging, and never run a
getty on it.  This would cost a little memory, especially with a large
scrollback buffer, but scrollback is more valuable if console messages
are not mixed up with normal output.

Bruce