Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:16:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Net posting: SCO gets Linux emulation

>> I looked at the program; it's interesting, but not terribly exciting.
>> However, I might have done the iBCS2 emulation the same way, if I could
>> have -- however, trapping the system call vector in a user-mode program is
>> hard.  If 386BSD had used a different entry vector...
>It's a question of performance.  If I understand it correctly, you do
>a SIGSEGV for every system call.

That is a problem.  It takes something like three system calls for every
single Linux system call.  (I am counting signal delivery as equivalent to a
system call; in practice, it may be a bit higher.)

For syscall-intensive programs, this is a lot of overhead, and is a known
limitation.  However, not running at all is also quite a lot of overhead :).

Sean.