Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 16:26:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

Comments done below :

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 11:40 PM 5/10/98 +0200, Lars Gerhard Kuehl wrote:
>
> >What the product FreeBSD would need is:
> >
> >  I.    Advertisement. In particular advertisement by commercial
> >        suppliers and supporters. It's much more persuading (and that's
> >        what's needed) to say "I rely on selling FreeBSD" than on
> >        "I rely on the product FreBSD". In Germany Suse and Delix
> >        realise the most efficient Linux promotion. FreeBSD needs
> >        the same. (I actually considered to found something like
> >        "Fuse".)
> >
> >  II.   The support for FreeBSD needs an organisational frame with name.
> >        "FreeBSD Competence Centres" or "FreeBSD Solution Providers"
> >        were very helpful (for the product :).
>
> This takes money. Right now, Walnut Creek is the only seller of FreeBSD
> disks and hence the only profit-making venture from which much money
> could come.

	Actually my understanding is that there is another company
selling FreeBSD cds, Cheap Bytes I believe is what it's called.  I
personally have never compared the two, but I as I understand it they are
basically a more stripped down set compared to Walnut Creek's set.  I
don't know for sure, but I do recall a discussion about it at one time,
either in the newsgroups ( comp.os.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc if I recall
correctly ) or on one or more of the freebsd lists.

> So, this begs the questions: Would Walnut Creek be willing to sell
> CD-ROMs in bulk to a second vendor which might plow money back into
> advertising? Or -- how much would it "rock the boat" if another
> vendor began pressing CDs?

> --Brett

	This is a little different than what I understand is happening
with Cheap Bytes, they are putting together their own distribution I
believe.  I would not claim to know details as to what's going on, I'm
sure there are others with a better understanding of what that
relationship looks like.

	Lately I've been considering a couple of things, I work for a
small ISP in CA and have been looking at approaching our company to make
some sort of donation ( hopefully each year ? ) to the FreeBSD project to
help things along.  Like I said it's rather small compared to many but
we've decided ( awhile back ) to go with FreeBSD as the primary workhorse
for our servers ( I can't wait to put a knife in an old SunOS box we have
:-) After the power is turned off of course ).
	This idea sparked another one the other day, ISP con is coming up
in San Jose in late September I believe, does FreeBSD or Walnut Creek
have any plans to do anything at the show?  I don't really want to start
a war over ISPs using Linux and ISPs using FreeBSD, but I would thing
that would be a neat place to push the FreeBSD cause.
	I suppose the key thing that Brett and others have hit on is that
there needs to be a company who is willing to start making the push ( or
at least some or group who has the money ) and get the advertising
going.  I would like to see Walnut Creek do this, but if for some reason
they can't or don't want to at this point then the search needs to start,
we need to find or create this company that can begin this push for FreeBSD.

Joseph Scott
jmscott@ainet.com