Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:37:46 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Alexander V. Tischenko" <flash@hway.ru>
To:        Max Khon <max@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM PC 350 P100

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Max Khon wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> i've got several IBM PC 350 P100 workstations (P100, 82437FX (Triton), S3
> Trio 64V+ onboard, 16(32)M, PS/2 mouse, PS/2 kbd, AMD PCNet/PCI based
> network card)
>
> 3.0-CURRENT:
>   everything works fine (raw ftp ~900-950K/s)
>
> 2.2.5-STABLE:
>   - cannot shutdown properly (do not sync disks) - KBD_BROKEN_RESET does
> not help
>   - raw ftp throughput is about 20-30K/s. lnc driver works with AMD
> PCNet/PCI cards in 16-bit mode. i wrote device driver which works with AMD
> PCNet/PCI in 32-bit mode - does not help. this is not BOUNCE_BUFFERS
> problem as someone noticed earlier, because
> 1) i tried this on workstations with 16M
> 2) on workstations with 32M i tried both lnc with 'option BOUNCE_BUFFERS'
> in kernel config and my own driver which does not need BOUNCE_BUFFERS
>
> any comments?

Concerning lnc:

While in the age of 2.1-... i've got the PC-Net/PCI driver working (breed
from linux of my own). The problem of working/notworking was purely
in alignment (AMD's are a bit crazy on that, not bounce buffers. If you
want to have a look, drop me a note, i'll give it to you.
Also William D. Ward <euswdwj@exu.ericsson.se> is investigating the
problems with AMD drivers right now.
Manuals on AMD chips you may get on AMD itself or
 http://www.hway.ru/~flash/amd/