Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:51:52 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
Cc:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of supported RAID controllers ?

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 12:17:08AM -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 10:28:04PM -0800, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> >
> > Right.  I frequently use AVIstor (Infortrend) RAID controllers with
> > Seagate Cheetah hard drives in a RAID 5 configuration, all hanging off
> > an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter.  Combined with Softupdates, it creates
> > the fastest disk filesystem I've ever used.
>
> I'll second that. I know this configuration very well and I can also say
> that the above setup on a K6-2 300mhz with 256 Meg of ram is amazingly
> fast. Like a complete make world in just under 2 hours.

Actually, I've seen this setup finish a "buildworld" in 75 minutes or
so... but I'm just talking about the disk being fast.  Hell, Josef, if
what we're going for is overall speed, let's hook this disk up to an
Adaptec 3940U2W and plug it into a quad-Xeon with 4GB or so of RAM.
As long as we've got enough cooling, that ought to beat most
everything else out there.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Cole's Law:  Thinly sliced cabbage.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com