Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 11:03:45 -0600
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD core team questions

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:59:03AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002, j mckitrick wrote:
>
> > I have a question or two about the current core election.  A few of the
> > remarks made by the candidates, such as 'the project is broken' sound a
> > bit disconcerting.  I am sure there are and always will be problems with
> > getting a large number of volunteers to work in a coherent, civil
> > manner, while keeping the technology and stability of the OS at proper
> > priority.  However, maybe I have missed a lot of news, but is the
> > project in *that* bad of shape that we can say or even imply that it is
> > 'broken'?
> >
> > Also, I don't want to pick on the candidate who made the remark, because
> > several other comments say about the same thing.
> >
> > NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
>
> As with any large project involving large numbers of people, there is some
> inevitable personal friction and disagreement.  To assert that the project
> is fundamentally broken displays a lack of understanding of the
> accomplishments of the project over the last few years, and the state of
> the project today.  I think it could be successfully argued that there are

Exactly!  This project is not failing, it is booming.  All you have to do
is look at the doc project, re, the DARPA work, platform support, etc. etc.
to see that these are truly exciting times to be involved with FreeBSD.  How
many drunken brawls do they have in ghost towns?

Individuals who cannot see the forest for the trees really do need to take
a few steps back an reevaluate their definition of success.

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
www.FreeBSD.org   davidc@freebsd.org