Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 08:40:08 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wicontrol-access point density

> Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 00:11:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> what exactly is the access point density parameter
> controlled with wicontrol -i wi0 -a ?
> does it extend my access point coverage area?

As I understand it, it allows you to do the opposite...it reduces the
coverage for better operation in environments where there are a number
of APs. When several cells are available to a card, it will pick one
and start using it. If there is another with nearly equal signal, it
may start flipping between cells and this will damage performance.

Setting the AP density to a higher value will adjust the "squelch" to
try to reduce/eliminate this problem. Even if you are not flipping
channels, near-by APs on close channels may cause interference which
the AP density setting should help.

But, if you ar trying to extend the range of your system when it is
the only system around, this won't help. It will only make it worse.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)