Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:49:28 +0200
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Geoff Speicher <geoff@speicher.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will there be a 6.0 Stable ?

Geoff Speicher wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 04:26:48PM -0700, Joseph Davida wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>I am currently running 5.2.1-Release,
>>and wanted to move to 6.0 STABLE, but
>>looks like it is not available yet.
>>Will there be a 6.0 STABLE before 2005?
>

> Umm, are you sure you don't want 5-STABLE, which just materialized
> within the last month or so?

Indeed.

> Geoff

Better yet, are you sure you understand the ``STABLE'' moniker? I find
that most people who are asking this are unfamiliar with what the
``STABLE'' branch is -- a live development branch where code is merged
to stablize once it has proven its ``test of time'' from CURRENT. It's
not necessarily the most stable code, security wise. You should track
-RELEASE plus security patches for a ``stable'' system in that sense.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html for a more detailed
explination.

--Devon