Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 20:19:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@artcom.de, julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> > Erhm, this is not in the 2.2-stable charter folks, the patches that
> > should go into 2.2-stable should only be bugfixes etc, the next thing
> > is that somebody wants the SMP code into 2.2-stable...
>
> Erm.  Supporting hardware, especially mainstream hardware (and large
> IDE drives are getting so cheap as to constitute mainstream), is well
> within the 2.2-stable charter and I'd be just as happy to add support
> for ATAPI CDRs (hint :) to 2.2.x since many many people ask for them.

I take the hint about the CDR's, in a couble of hours I can tell
you more about that....

> 2.2.x-stable has to be stable, this is indisputable, so features which
> do not benefit the user base at large, are highly experimental or
> cover something which is just too inconsequential to even risk a
> change over are certainly where the "line should be drawn."
>
> Failure to use all of a popular disk drive or rejecting a new driver
> which does not impact the old drivers (especially when such don't even
> exist :) is overly conservative, however, and not what -stable is
> about either.

Hmm, the LBA hack in -current is NOT stable, its a quickhack that
should go again (I should know, I made it :) ), but the code
that enables CHS mode on larger than 8G drives could be argued
about. I'm just not sure that the added stuff doesn't break
on older WD & ESDI drives, that should be tested first.